Friday, January 4, 2008

Blog #2....my job, my life.....

Alright, as promised in the first blog, I am going to blog about my last job. I will try my best to be brief. For those who already know this story, you can either read it or pass it by....the choice is yours!

I began my career in Early Childhood directly after graduating from College in December of 1995. Having all intentions of going into the public school system but since it was mid year, the schools weren't hiring and since we only had one car at the time AND Jim was in school.....let's just say a lot was going on and the Lord blessed me with a full time job so my husband could quit one of his. Plus I got to work with my younger sister, Jackie so we rode to and from work together, sharing gas expenses.

We moved from Florida to Indiana to Ohio, and in each city I promptly found a job in some sort of a Preschool environment. My time at Pla N Stuf was fairly enjoyable; what job is perfect ALL the time? However, the majority of my career thus far was spent within the walls of Kiddie Day Care and Preschools. NINE years......three babies born during that time. WHEW!!

Let me tell ya what, I honestly didn't see myself working in a Preschool setting that long, but I was so very good at my job. Within less than 18 months timing, I had worked in almost every department and was given a raise and promoted to the Center Administrator. I was juggling two babies by then, Peyton was not quite two years old and Carson was about nine months. My life was busy. And it stayed that way. Work, home, babies.....my life! But I loved it!!

I treated each and every child at the Center's as my own. Yes, Center's. For awhile I worked at two. I was considered the "Head Administrator" after a few years, since I knew everything about each Center, and most employees. I made decisions without the help of the Owners. I knew what their thought process was, for the most part.

Doing payroll isn't too bad.....doing Parent pay records, whew...not an easy task. Beggin Parents to pay AND getting them to pay and on time - that is indeed a challenge. Trying to follow each rule set out by the State governing childcare is not totally impossible. It is very difficult when your boss won't pay for overtime, yet wants things perfect. My boss was a perfectionist. He believed that the children should play but the at the end of each day the Center should look as "pristine" as the day it was built! LOL

So let's discuss my boss and the reason I just up and quit my job one day and didn't ever show my face in there again. Since we have already determined that I loved my job and was very good at what I did, shall we?

Mr Callahan was a very demanding person to work for. I put in a lot of time "off the clock" and he didn't seem to care, as long as things got done according to his liking. So basically I was overworked and underpaid, to say the least. Also there was the underappreciated thing. He felt as if he gave me free day care so he could use me and abuse me, anytime, day or night.

I was called at home as late as ten PM and as early as 5 AM. For stupid, piddly crap that actually could've waited until I was at work. He didn't care. I was at home at night, taking care of my children; cooking and cleaning, bathing, homework....you know, the usual Mommy chores
and he would either call or show up. This was something my husband didn't like at all. But I tolerated it because I was bringing home a paycheck and I was actually using my degree.

Things changed for me when I felt as if he were hitting on me. In December of 2005 he decided that the gifts he wanted to get his Administrators needed to be personal so he and Mrs Callahan took the three of us to lunch and shopping. Yes, it was during the work week so we did at least get paid for this, except the hour for lunch. He kept on and on until we got something for a total price of $100. Both of the other girls tried on clothes for him and he purchased them all kinds of items to wear. I decided I was going to get a nice winter coat. He was pissed and said that he and I would go ALONE the next day. I insisted on the coat, finally he gave in.

In March he told me of a dream he had about kissing me. Yes, you read that right. He asked me how I felt about it and I said that I thought it was really inappropriate.

In May I found out I was pregnant. I had told no one, but did call from the work phone to make my first ob/gyn appointment. My boss met me that day for lunch and kept questioning me about my personal life until I broke down and told him of the upcoming baby and how I felt that there was absolutely NO WAY I would be able to continue my employment with five children in tow. Can you imagine? Well, he basically went crazy on me and followed me and called me until he drove me insane. When I was almost nine weeks along, I ended up having a miscarriage. I still think it had something to do with all the stress he put on me.

In July he told me that I didn't need to take my vacation as planned with my husband. He said that he and his wife deserved a vacation and that every year I had ruined it. This so was not true. He hardly ever worked and they took at least two trips out to Arizona each year. I started to object and he actually told me to stop acting like a toddler. About two weeks later, he called me at home and wanted to know why I didn't have any bags for the vaccuum cleaners at the Center. He also wanted to know where all the non disposable spoons were that he purchsed
with the fundraiser monies to save money for the Center in the long run.

When I tried to explain myself, he just kept interrupting and calling me names. He demanded that I payroll deduct the cost of new spoons from my paycheck the next day. He also told me to go to Wal Mart on my way to work in the morning and purchase the bags for the vaccuum cleaner on the Center's Sams club card. I tried to explain to him that I would do no such thing. He ended up hanging up on me.

Try to picture this. I am in the middle of the Dollar store, buying toilet paper. It is about 7:30 at night. I have all four of my kids with me. Now I am crying. NOT GOOD......so I try to compose myself, pay for the toilet paper and barely make it to my car. I call Jim and leave him a message. I am close to hyperventilating by this point. Out of anger, mostly. Nothing sucks worse than being falsely accused of something and not being able to defend yourself.

My husband called me back. By then I was home. He demanded home and cell numbers for my boss and he said I was never going back there and he would take care of things. Oh, did I mention that my boss, in anger, told me that if I were a man he would take me outside and beat me? Yep, because he was so frustrated. Steve and his lovely wife, Bonnie, denied most of what my husband asked about. All the reasons I quit. He basically called me a liar to my husband's face. Like Jim would believe that one.

Anyhow, believe it or not, that is the ABBREVIATED version of the story. Sadly, I still miss that place. :(

2 comments:

DaNella Auten said...

Alrightythen... I have been in a simular situawation... Not fun. Not fun. U go Blogger Girl!!

Moonflower's Meanderings said...

I never really knew all the details of your battle with your boss and departure. You lasted longer than I would have...thats for sure. Lord, I hope I am not related to that man....my Irish descendants were the Callahans...that is my mom's maiden name. I guess we could call the Irish mafia out on this dude..Lol!