Saturday, March 14, 2009

upcoming visit

I am very confused about how I feel. Not gonna lie. LOL...

In just a few weeks Courtney will be here. Her Grandparents are allowing us to fly her out here for Spring Break. I know Jim has longed to see her in person. I have a feeling it is going to be quite an emotional meeting for everyone.

Here is my problem. Maybe I am just being my stupid, stubborn self. His Parents are my problem. You see, when Jim and his ex found out they were "expecting" she was only 16 and Jim was 17. His Parents said that they didn't want him to be on the birth certificate or pay child support unless the girlfriend went through testing to prove Jim was the Father.

Her Parents didn't want that, at least this is the story that is being told. Will I ever know the truth.....probably not.

Here is what I think. I think that my In Laws were really embarressed about the situation. I can only imagine that they blamed themselves, felt it was their fault for being so busy at work and life, providing for their family and they didn't see what was going on right in front of them with their own child. I can only guess that is why my husband wound up going to College so far away from home. They wanted to get him away from it all.

Jim had been pretty honest with me about the situation. He didn't tell me about the baby until we had been together almost a year. He was upset then, she was two years old at the time and he had never seen her.

As time has gone by, he had been looking for her. Finally we found her (most of you know that story). She has been living in California with her Grandparents, who had adopted her back in 98 and been raising her.

Jim broke down and told his Parents this past July and they act so thrilled. They wanted her address and phone number right away. They mailed her a card. God knows what it said. I am sure it said something to make them look good. They send her money and gift cards. Now before I go all "insane jealous" on you all, let me tell you what kind of people they are.

These people, my In Laws, are very cheap. I am not kidding. They will go out of town shopping all day and not eat. Not eat a thing. Why? Because they dont' want to spend the money! They will be gone ten, twelve hours and then come home complaining how hungry they are. They will order a pizza at domino's because it's only $5 and that is their dinner.

My kids have only gotten a handful of birthday gifts from them, ever. They refuse to attend the girls birthday parties, saying that they don't believe in bday parties. My FIL will even tell you his parents never did them so they never did them for their kids (my husband and his sister) and Jim will tell you he never got bday presents as a kid. When we lived in SC, we actually got bday cards and put $20 in them and signed their names so the girls would have something from someone besides us and my Parents and sisters. They didn't really have many friends down there seeing that we were homeschooling and couldn't find a good church.

So I think that they have never, ever gotten the girls anything for Easter either. And never for Valentines day. Let's just rule out every holiday and special occasion. I can tell you that this past Novemeber when Camryn had her 6th bday and we had a party for her at McDonalds, she personally invited them and they didnt' come. She was so heartbroken.

Imagine my anger when they sent Courtney a card and money for Valentine's day. I am not at all jealous, it is the principal of the fact. My kids are here, they don't act as if they care. They have kept them overnight twice in a year. Twice. After the first time she actually told us that she wanted to start keeping them individually so she can spend time with them one on one. I think it's just so she doesn't have to do anything with them. I know that sounds rude but it is how I feel. And the second time they stayed we had to practically beg them to keep them. We didn't want them to stay overnight, just watch them for a few hours while we went to dinner.

Naturally, you can tell that I have some supressed angry feelings. LOL

Here is my "concern". We have plans with Courtney. Nothing too major, but when we first pick her up at the airport, we thought maybe we would go to dinner before coming back home. I think his Parents will go with us to the airport. So their idea of going out to eat is a bucket of KFC or else double cheeseburgers from McDonald's. I want to take her to this Italian place that everyone keeps talking about, Buca Di Beppo. The girl likes pasta..... :)

So I guess if you think of it, say an extra prayer for me, I am gonna need it. Her plane arrives on Sunday the 5th and we take her back to the airport on Saturday the 11th.

No comments: